It’s a big weekend upcoming for Boels-Dolmans Cycling Team with three races on two continents. We’ve already told you all about the European season opener with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (Saturday) and Omloop van het Hageland (Sunday), and now we want to talk #UCIHourRecord.
Eveyln Stevens takes to the track on Saturday February 27 at 20:00 CET / 12:00 MST to attempt to set a new mark for the Women’s UCI Hour Record. Bridie O’Donnell (Australia) set the current record of 46.882km in Adelaide, Australia last month.
Tickets to watch Stevens attempt the #UCIHourRecord sold out in six minutes. Luckily options abound to watch her attempt at home. CyclingNews, Ella CyclingTips, Voxwomen, USA Cycling and the UCI will all broadcast the live stream – which begins at 19:30 CET / 11:30 MST. We’ll be tuning into the UCI’s stream – which you can watch here.
Stevens will attack the record at the Colorado Sprints Olympic Training Velodrome. The 333.3-metre banked cement track sits at over 6,000 feet and is currently covered by the newly-constructed winter dome.
USA Cycling has worked closely with Stevens and her coach Neal Henderson on the attempt that takes place within spitting distance from their headquarters – and the American National Federation invites fans to get involved with Saturday’s event. From Friday until 19:00 CET on Saturday, USAC is running a Twitter contest. To enter tweet how far you think Stevens will ride in her attempt and be sure to tag your tweet with #UCIHourRecord. The guess that comes closest to the mark will win a jersey signed by Stevens.
Stevens attempt has generated a ton of media buzz. Before you tune in on Saturday, you may want to check out some of our favourite stories, videos and galleries:
- Stevens on the Hour Record: “It’s going to be one of the most painful hours of my life” (Ella)
- Stevens on track to take down Longo’s all-time hour record (VeloNews)
- Video: Evie Stevens – Hour Record practice session (CyclingTips)
- Stevens plans to demolish women’s UCI Hour Record (CyclingNews)
- Stevens on track to set new UCI Hour Record (Ella)
- Gallery: Evelyn Stevens hour record training in the velodrome (VeloNews)
- Assembling Evelyn Stevens’ hour-record attempt bike (Bike Radar)
- Evelyn Stevens Hour Record: “Just me and 60 minutes” (Zipp)
- Photo gallery: Evelyn Stevens’ Specialized S-Works Shiv TT Hour Record Bike (Ella)